Thursday, July 21, 2011

ATTN Crazy Craigslist people: Life ain't fair!

So I've been trolling around Craigslist a little bit lately. Just curious to see if there are actually any legitimate jobs on there.  And no I'm not just looking at jobs there, that would be ridiculous, but I'm taking a peek everywhere.  Craigslist just happened to be the most entertaining.


And in a few categories, namely ones involving computers (software, web development, graphic design), I see several posts by whiners like this one:  (yes, these are authentic posts, cut and pasted from CL)

RE: Photoshop Designer

This person posted a few days ago...I answered with resume'...no answer either way.
This person is either very unprofessional or it is a scam...anyway I'd forget he/she
and not answer any of he/she posts.

Or this one…

RE: Photoshop, Easy Job

Do you have any idea how to use photoshop? Any person who has benn educated in the program paid a lot for that education. $20 is a joke to anyone who will do the job right.

64 images- doesn't matter what is being done to them, is time consuming and will take well over 1 hour. Which is generally what you would be looking at for $20... One hour of work.

So you may want to re-think the industry standard for such a job before offering jack shit in compensation for such an "easy job". You're right though. Not a HARD job, but a time consuming one. If you can't afford to pay for talent, buy the program and do it yourself! Maybe then you'll understand that your "Easy Job" is not a "Cheap Job".

*********

(Why do I suddenly have visions of all those skits on SNL about the IT guys that come into offices that are arrogant, sarcastic, condescending, and passive-aggressive?)

Oh my God, people, get a grip! I’ve been in the adult, post-education, job market for almost 25 years. I have one little valuable nugget of wisdom I have learned over the years…

Life ain’t fair!!!!!!


Yes, I know it’s hard to believe, that not everyone will give you everything you want on a silver platter and be sickeningly sweet about it. In fact, most of the time, you’ll need to fight for the scraps you do get and still thank someone profusely. …I should deliver a commencement address, eh?

Just, my point is… I can’t believe in this evident age of entitlement these weenies are writing these anonymous rants on Craigslist, railing against the employers like they are some sort of classified ad ethics police. Guess what? CL is filled with fake ads, people who don’t know their a** from a hole in the ground and are just trying to get some cheap help, or people that do have legit ads but it just isn’t their obligation to write everyone who answers the ad with a handwritten perfume-scented monogrammed thank you note.

I must have sent out thousands of resumes and cover letters in the past 25 years, and do you know how many “Thanks, but no thanks” replies I received? Maybe five. An employer doesn’t owe you anything. Its common knowledge that if they want an interview, that’s the only time you’ll hear from them, they’ll call you and that’s about it.

As for what an employer is offering to pay? They’ll offer whatever they can get away with. Simple as that. So, haggle. Submit your resume and give them your idea of what you want for compensation. But no, it’s far more effective to offer a passive-aggressive anonymous rant on Craigslist. No wonder you’re looking for a job.

I unfortunately, replied to one of these rants. HUGE MISTAKE. I was feeling pissy one day and wanted to give someone a piece of my mind. I told him politely that employers aren’t obligated to respond. He launched into an evil nerd attack, saying I was nasty and meddling, and threatening to tell my employer... with every other word spelled wrong. Wow, there are a lot of people feeling entitled with anger issues out there. Someone needs a hug… or an FBI check, because I see a future “shoot up the workplace” contestant there.

Besides, just suck it up and send out the resumes and hope for the best, another lesson learned in all my years of job searching… don’t deal with the crazy ranting people on Craigslist.

1 comment:

  1. You're absolutely right. I rarely if ever hear back from places I've sent resumes to. This paranoid weenie is flipping out on you after he called some company "unprofessional"? HA!

    Yeah... I wanna see a company hire that headache.

    As for the $20 job... shoot, I'll take it. I bet I can get it done in 15 minutes. Give me 20 of those jobs a day, and I'll have made more than a usually make in a 9-5 job.

    ReplyDelete