Thursday, December 22, 2011

Chill Out, it's Just Christmas Not a Death Penalty Trial

I've seen so many Facebook and Twitter posts lately that state how stressed out people are with the holidays.  I was about to call the suicide prevention hotline for one woman, she seemed so on edge.  I also saw another post that was so smug about how far ahead she was of the game with all her shopping and wrapping, I wanted to throw a shoe at her.

For the record, I would just like to state...

IT'S NOT A COMPETITION, PEOPLE!  IT'S JUST CHRISTMAS!

Notice, I didn't say holidays?  I just said Christmas.  Ya' know why?  Because I've never heard any of my Jewish friends stress out about Hannukah!  Ok, I've only heard one Jewish friend complain but it was just mostly about having to get on a plane to see her older parents who like to eat the early bird at Howard Johnson's.  Which, is usually purely for comedic value. However, she never complained about buying presents and decorating.  Jewish folks make it simple, no tree, no decorations, one simple light fixture, eight days of presents so in case you forget something the first few nights... no pressure.

Kwanzaa, I admit I hardly know anything about and I don't know anyone personally who celebrates it.  And most things I've read about it, anyone who does celebrate it, they celebrate Christmas too, it's not like it's an exclusive thing.  I also believe it focuses on virtues and stuff like that, so again the principal is not about sweating stocking stuffers.

So, in the spirit of this being an adult survival guide, my advice to you is... chillax.  What gets done, will get done.  No one will notice that you forgot to put out your Wayne Newton dressed as Santa statuette.  No one will notice that you only made a batch of sugar cookies and not peanut butter cookies.  The kids won't care if you wrapped their stocking stuffers or didn't wrap their stocking stuffers.  Just try to enjoy the spirit of Christmas, family and friends. (yes, even if you hate your family)

And you might even say, "What about the kids?  It's important for the kids."  Guess what?  The kids will get over it.  I believe you might be teaching your kids a far more valuable lesson in life if they don't get everything they want this year.  I kid you not, there were years my kids got construction paper or earrings or mittens from the Dollar Store.  I cried and cried.  Yes, I feel terrible that I can't give my children everything I want, but my children have learned that life isn't fair and to be thankful for what they do get.  I'd like to think I won't be raising a bunch of spoiled ingrates.  Oh believe me many times in my heart I wish I could raise spoiled ingrates just so they have nice things, but I realize the life lesson is ok too, and will last a lifetime, unlike an iPod.

Hey, didn't that Christmas angel say, "Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Men"?  THAT's what it's about!  Please everyone, spread peace and good will to others, and accept peace yourself.  That's really the key, peace within yourself, and it's uncanny how it spreads to others.  Take a deep breath and relish the simple joys.  And remember, you will not be put to death by lethal injection if the silverware isn't polished or the stuffing is dry.  Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Festivus, Happy Kwanzaa to all and to all a good night!  Peace!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you! I needed to hear this. I did make all the different types of cookies, but now I'm so stressed I just keep eating them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madge, relationships with family and friends are way more important than the material gifts and the decorations. The best gifts are sharing some stories over a good meal. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lauren and Martin! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, nice. But I would notice if someone forgot to bake the peanut butter cookies.

    Merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete